Monday, June 4, 2012

First day of school! First day of school! (to be read in Nemo's voice)

Monday, June 4th, 2012


Before I get to the school stuff, I wanna blog about some not-so fun parts. On the hall with us are some kind of post high pre college program kids, and it appears that they enjoy running marathons in the hallway all night long. They run, scream, bang on all the doors (including ours, not just theirs) and laugh at us when we tell them to be quiet. It’s been 4 nights of obnoxious rambunctious-ness, and we’re all tired of being tired. The walls are thin enough already (we can hear music playing in each other’s dorms when it’s at a normal level) and the doors are see through, so the hallway lights shine in, but they’re motion sensor (and a sensitive motion sensor), so it’s more like a strobe light most of the time. The other not so fun thing is that my and J’s room got broken into. It was 6:30 in the morning, and we were sleeping. There was someone at our door, trying to get the key to work. At first we thought it was one of the kids, or a drunk trying to get into the wrong dorm, but he wouldn’t stop, and eventually the door opened. He walked in, and then walked out. I thought I was dreaming this, but J, being the smart adrenaline filled one, got up after he walked out and looked at him. He was wearing normal clothes, not a cleaning crew uniform or the security guard uniform, and he was walking down the hallway.  Supposedly, they have the security at the front of the dorm to prevent non students from getting in, but obviously he got in somehow. That he key eventually opened our door is super sketchy too. I have all of my cash, electronics, and important documents with me at all times now, because I don’t trust the door. We tried to tell security on our way to class, but idt they took it seriously. We told Nihan, and I hope she handles it. If I get kidnapped and sold into the sex trade, have the cops look at the security tapes from this morning, because it was probably the creeper who entered my room.

Moving on, school today was pretty interesting. We met Nihan at 9:45 so she could show us where our classroom was (up 8 flights of stairs. Idk why the buildings are so tall when there are earthquakes all the time, but anyway) and our professor is the adorable grandpa looking guy with an awesome accent. We had a guest lecturer, Feroz Ahmad, who wrote one of the books we had to read before we got here. He’s originally an Indian Muslim, but he lived in the US for 40 years, and then moved here a while ago, and now bounces back and forth between the US and Turkey. The morning session was a hour or so of him talking (mostly the same stuff from the first few chapters of his book) and then it moved into a Q&A session. Then it was lunchtime, where we all (the unf kids, the yeditpe students, and the two profs) went to the nice restaurant on campus. It was my biggest meal in like a week, and it was probably the best food I’ve had yet. We started off with a salad thing (carrots, shredded cheese, corn, cherry tomatoes, lettuce, and what I’m pretty sure were beets, (hey O! I finally had a beet, I think! Lol) then a soup which I thought was lemon soup, but was actually lentil. (Sadface, Michelle. I miss greek soup!) But it was still good. Then the main dish was like meatloaf, but not really, and then a grain which turned out to be boiled wheat. It was mixed with veggies and hot sauce (like usual) but it was still edible. Dessert we had a few choices- baklava, some super thick pudding thing, sugar bread, banana crepe thing, and something kinda like flan. I went with the flan thing, but it was too much and I was pretty full so I only had a little bit. I even managed to drink half of the chi (the post meal tea that everyone drinks. It’s either that, or the super intense coffee, which I just can’t handle. One sip one time is plentyyyyy for that).

After our lunch, we had another class session, and this time it was pretty straight Q&A, but the answers were a solid 15-30 minutes long, so it didn’t really feel like a normal q&a. There were some interesting viewpoints about the Armenian genocide/disaster/displacement, the PKK, and freedom of speech that were completely different than my personal ones. I can tell that I’m going to learn just as much from the profs as I will from the students, about culture and the way history is viewed and just lifestyle differences. I talked to two during lunch, and they were friendly, nice, open, and interesting, so I hope the class goes well.

It’s about 5:30 here, everyone is super tired from not getting adequate rest, we may go to Cotla for dinner or stay on campus. I’m still super full from lunch though, so idk. Shout-out to my Daddy, today is his birthday!! I was able to sing to him yesterday via Skype, but I’m kinda bummed I don’t get to tell him on his actual day. <3

Love to everyone! 

No comments:

Post a Comment