Thursday, June 7, 2012

Life update!

Whoops, haven't been able to update as regularly as I'd have liked, so here goes a quick summary of what's been going on lately:)


Tuesday, June 5th, 2012
Class, lunch break where we went off campus and got really good chicken, rice, and bean mix, class, tiny bit of chill time, and then our friend from class, Hasancan (pronounced Hass-on-john) had the 6 of us over at his apartment for dinner and hang out time. Can (pronounced john) from class was also there, and their friend (I don’t have the right letters to spell his name) not from class also came. It was nice, and the view of the sunset was amazinngggg, and Hasan can cook good tooJ. What was not so nice is that we totally got ripped off for our laundry. We decided to try it out, because we all brought the wrong sort of clothes, and our jeans badly needed washing. The guy totally over charged us, so we’re pretty much not going to do anymore laundry (but Hasan’s friend has a machine he offered to let us use, and he lives pretty close by I think, so that’s super nice of him) unless absolutely needed. We’re wearing shorts around campus now, and not really caring as much, but out and about it’s still better to have more clothes on.

Wednesday, June 6th, 2012
Class was interesting again, the differences in culture, location, and religion and how those all interplay into interpretations of history are fascinating to me. The morning session was lecture, and in the break we had group work to go over the Johnson/Inonu letters of 1964 (they are about the Cyprus crisis). The people in my group were pretty nice; after we were done with the assignment we just talked about Turkish v American culture, and it was super interesting. In the afternoon, we had a class discussion about the letters (both the am and pm sessions were led by Feroz Ahmed, the textbook author who spoke earlier in the week). After class, Hassancan (pronounced Has-an-john), Ugher (spelled that totally wrong, but it’s pronounced Oar but with a longerish O sound) and a kid I can’t remember the name of took us out to the main fancy shopping place this side of the city (about 30 minutes by car. Some were in a taxi, the 4 girls went in a car driven by the kid whose name I can’t remember). We just walked around, it was pretty, very much like Aghia Paraskevi, and we wandered down by the water eventually. The water was not swimmable (to gross, the color is beeeyooouuuttteeefull, but there is too much nasty stuff in it, and there isn’t really a beach), sadface, and then we wandered back. Hassan wanted us to get these special burgers, but they were like 20 TL each so we were all like nah, let’s just eat at school. So we all came back, and I went and puked while the others went to dinner and then Hassan’s apartment. I’m kinda a little bit (by a little bit, I mean almost deathly) ill, and not really feeling up to doing much of anything. :/ Also, my atm card has decided not to work in Turkish atms (so far, I’ve tried 4 different brands) and so running out of cash is a very real concern. Luckily, I have a nice roommate who will lend me some, if my card doesn’t start working. I bought francs, euros, and usd for the layovers, so I was able to convert that to tl and not be completely broke, but unless my card starts to work people back home probably aren’t going to be getting anything awesome from Turkey:/

Thursday June 7, 2012
Class today was another interesting one. The guest lecturer was Turkish, but attended/taught at 6 american universities, so his English was excellent and he had some interesting points. The afternoon time was about the 2003 invasion of Iraq, another interesting subject. I’m still sickly, like Peru bad, which is saving me money because I don’t want to eat lol, but it sucks to be epic sick when I don’t have a lot of time here. I got to skype with my mom and O, and it was niceJ Now I’m chilling out in the study area, with the sucky wifi (start wifi rant: IT IS THE YEAR OF OUR GOOD LORD TWENTY FREAKING TWELVE, AND RELIABLE WIFI SHOULD NOT BE THIS HARD TO COME BY/end rant), working on my homework.

Miss and love to my family and friends! xoxoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment